Reading, Math and Science EQTs
You can assist your child prepare for testing by doing the following:
1. Make sure your child gets a good night's sleep before a test.
2. Make sure your child eats properly the day of a test.
3. Maintain a pleasant home environment and avoid unnecessary conflicts. Try to make the morning of the test a pleasant one. Do not add to your child’s stress.
4. Make sure your child has taken any needed medication.
5. Ensure that your child is present and on time during testing (children generally perform better when taking tests in their groups rather than at a make-up time).
6. Wish your child good luck each morning of the test. Tell your child that he/she is special and that you believe in him/her!
7. Remind your child the test is important. Encourage him/her to do his/her best.
8. If your child is too ill to attend, please call the school office.
9. Remind your child to listen carefully to the instructions from the teacher and to read the directions and each question carefully.
10. Explain to your child the importance of using time wisely. If your child gets stuck on a question, encourage him or her to make the best guess and move on, then come back to that question if he/she has extra time when finish the test.
11. Tell your child to attempt to answer all of the questions and not to leave any blank.
12. Encourage your child to stay focused on the test, even if other students finish early.